Churc of Sant’Antonio da Padova
The church of St. Antonio of Padua was founded in Taormina by the Friars Minor Capuchin in 1559, outside the walls, in the northern part of the city, near the ancient church of St. Caterina of Alexandria. What today we call improperly St. Antonio\'s church was originally the church of St. Caterina of Alessandria, while the present church of St. Caterina, which is next to the Palazzo Corvaja, was built only later, after the sale to the Capuchins friars of the first church dedicated to the Saint of Alexandria. The portal is architecturally similar to that of St. Antonio Abate church and that of the east facade of the Duomo, so much so they seem like twins. ... Continua a leggere At the right of the portal, on the façade wall, there is another solar clock or sundial which bears the date 1837. A metal pin projects the shadow of the sun on straight lines, at the base of which the hours 15-16- 17-18-19-20-21-22 are marked; the top of the central vertical line is stamped with the letter M which indicates the Meridie, which is midday. A miraculous crucifix is kept inside the church. It is said, infact, that in 1780 following a terrible eruption of Mount Etna, with earthquakes and a great drought, the crucifix kept in this church was taken in penitential procession led by all the people, clergy and magistrates. The grace was granted, Etna subsided, and copious rain fell for many days, ending the severe drought which had also hit Taormina. A miracle that apparently had already been replicated during the eruption of 1693 with the same crucifix.
The Church, incorrectly called Sant’Antonio da Padova, is the Church of the Convent of the Frior Minors (Franciscans). It is located in via dei Cappuccini a short walk from Palazzo Corvaia.
Visiting Hours: Every day 9.00 – 21.00
Tel.: + 39 942 23123
Number of Seats: 80 seats
Other churches of Taormina