Church of Sant’Antonio Abate
The church dedicated to St. Antonio Abate is on the southern edge of the city in the first outer wall, which was called Porto of Saint Antonio. The church of St. Antonio Abate was built in 1330, a rustic church with a nave, as those that were built on the outskirts to meet the religious needs of the poor people who were in awe of the churches in the centre, frequented by the nobles.... Continua a leggere After the 1943 bombing it was almost completely destroyed, but was immediately rebuilt with stones retrieved from the rubble. The interior of the church with a single compartment in the left wall has an arched niche decorated with Taormina gray marble, whilst the upper part imitates a canopy which is surmounted by a marble cross. The church from 1953 has become home to a nice permanent crib that was made by the late Mr Dionisio Cacopardo, father of the Archpriest Mons. Cacopardo Salvatore. The crib has many monuments of Taormina reproduced to scale with cork cubes, such as the Greek Theatre, the Duomo, Palazzo Corvaja, the old Palazzo Badia ,Palazzo Duca di S.Stefano , Piazza IX Aprile, the clock tower, the church of San Giuseppe and the former church of St. Augustine as well as other classical monuments between mountains and valleys which creates an evocative setting that revives the great event of Christmas. There is also a niche on which the small wooden statue of St Antonio Abate is placed, represented with the right hand raised in blessing, with a shepherds crook in the left hand and with a miter on his head.
Celebration of Weddings : Celebrations must be agreed with the Priest
The Church of Sant’Antonio Abate is located in Via Pietro Toselli.
Visitng Hours: Every day 9.00 – 21.00
Tel.: + 39 942 23123
Numero di Posti: xx a sedere
Other churches of Taormina