Church of San Pietro
The Church of Saints Pietro and Paolo, probably the oldest christian church in Taormina, is encountered along the provincial road via Pirandello. It is located in the middle of what was once the Arab cemetery, of which there are now few remains after most of it was destroyed in 1825-30, during the construction of the road named Luigi Pirandello. Due to its location in the middle of fields outside the city, where vines were mainly cultivated during the time of the Tauromenitani Greeks, we can assume that the temple was dedicated to the god of wine Bacchus or Dionysos. The facade of the church dates back to the 18th century and has a simple portal with jambs and architraves in Taormina stone. ... Continua a leggere The access to the crypt is through a door with a pointed arch and a black lava pumice frieze and the interior is decorated with very damaged frescoes, depicting the Saints Pietro and Paolo. Even the apse of the crypt has a pointed arch framed by a frieze of black lava pumice. The interior of the church is divided into three naves delimited by two pointed arches on each side, each with its own apse. The altar looks like a field altar of the time of the early Christians and is comprised of 5 columns. It is believed that the church of Saints Pietro and Paolo was originally a chapel-mosque of the great Saracen cemetery, namely the Arab necropolis. Then in the 14th century it was transformed into a Chrsitian church, remaining outside the perimeter of the walls, for this said to be \"outside the city”.
Celebration of Weddings: Celebrations must be agreed with the Priest
The Church of San Pietro is located in Via Luigi Pirandello, 85
Visiting Hours: Every day 9.00 – 21.00 (Closed for restoration)
Tel.: + 39 942 23123
Other churches of Taormina